Sunday, July 09, 2006

First few days in London town


hello to my readers! my faithful friends and curious enemies, welcome and let's enjoy my adventures.
the flight was interesting. Emirates is worth the extra cash - unless in my case you have inside contacts....thanks Claire. The food was edible and the movies were good. I watched
Aeon Flux
Shopgirl
V for Vendetta
Eight Below
Just Friends
among other things.
Dubai looked like the whole city was covered in sand, as though the aesthetic of the city delighted in tan. Not so beautiful but I have heard the actual place is amazing.
Arrived in the UK very excited and aromatic. The time in the plane was spent constantly checking the flight map to see which place I was flying over: Berlin!! Istanbul!! Closer and closer. And here I am.
The next day I caught buses by myself. Ah, well, interesting experience with paranoia due to the anniversary of the London Bombings creating some tension. A homeless type sat next to me, I tried to just ignore his existance, in that tolerant, compassionate way that I have. Then some guy stands up, " Driver, stop de bus. This man here has a flammable object, it might be a bomb. Stop de bus, driver. You should talk to him. We cannot allow ourselves to be ignorant of this."
The driver basically ignored him, and this massive black guy sitting opposite me takes out his ipod earphones, looks the homeless guy up and down (homeless man, while still chatting away to himself has put offending cannister away in pocket), and says " He's just trying to fill his lighter, man."
I am amazed. This sort of thing never happened in Chch! There the bus drivers are only held up and drive non-stop around the city, or beaten up by teenage girls. In Waitara truck drivers are killed by teenage girls so I guess it's not a south island thing.
Later that day I went to Harrods. Completely over the top tacky and BUSY. They are having a big sale which was opened by my idols, the Pussycat Dolls. We went to a chocolate cafe there, oh la la. They have a shrine of sorts of Princess Di and Dodi Al Fayed, their photos in a garish gold frame topped with a gold bird mid flight. In the shrine, there is a wine glass from their final supper, lips pressed to this glass moments before the crash, also there is a diamond ring that is supposedly their engagment ring. So touching, tear.
Then went to a flash beauty salon with Crystal and her friend Kirsty and we got a pedicure. The lady lucky enough to have my feet said they were like a baby's feet.
That night was Crystal's Hens night. About 13 of us ladies enjoyed an interesting disco cruise down the Thames. The boat was funny, the food crazy: coleslaw, chicken, potato and tomato. But I got to see heaps of the city all lit up it was amazing: big ben, the tower of london, the tate modern, the high bits of st pauls, many bridges, and the thames barrier amongst others. Very cool. Yesterday was fairly laidback, although my sister (who is amazingly amazonian and fit) took me for a run. Crikey. Last night we went to Regents Park (after my first truly enlightening tube ride) to see A Midsummer's Night Dream in the open air theatre. Bloody amazing.


3 Comments:

At 3:18 AM , Blogger timbo said...

Very newsy. Got a feel for the trip to date as I was reading. keep posting!

 
At 6:07 AM , Blogger timbo said...

au pair... AU PAIR!!! You aren't swedish! Keep blogging. I was disappointed you didn't see the kryptonite

 
At 5:58 AM , Blogger Kara Isaac said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you're in London. I'm there from 17-22 August if you're still around...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home